Tuesday, January 14, 2014

New Music Tuesday, January 7th 2014!

Happy New Year, fellow music lovers.  Life got in the way of my blogging from April on in 2013.  My hope is to balance and post from now on.  Notes have been made for nearly every week I didn't post last year, and perhaps will get them drafted and uploaded for the websters to read.  But until that fantasy becomes a reality, here is the first entry for the year.

For anyone new reading,  my blog goes like this:  I review new music that has been released digitally or physically.  There isn't a genre I ignore,   and there isn't one particular site I get all my information off of.   I create a playlist of sorts, picking a track from the new album,  post the artist and album title, and then write a review of my own.  This is an activity I started in 2007 and do it completely for my own enjoyment.

An anemic week of new music to be released, as always the first of January is.   This isn't stopping me from forming my own opinions!  I am only reviewing 5 artists this week, but two are debuts.  How exciting. Enjoy.

"The Janitor Revealed" from Stephen Malkmus and the Jick's album "Wig out at Jagbags"
I saw a lot of press while scrolling the music interwebs and thought, oh must be someone to pay attention to.  One of the tracks on this local bands album is titled "Cinnamon and Lesbians". Perhaps it's the video, perhaps not, but what an unfortunate introduction to the band for me.  I needed time and space before listening to anything more they had to offer.  As it turns out, Stephen does have a voice, and it's always so unbearably obscure.  Also, indie-rock bands have a bad rap of being a wishy washy one sound band.  Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks do not fall under this trap, and I am forever grateful. Being that the Star Theater is usually inexpensive, I may have to support a local up and coming on March 15th.  Who's with me?  Anyone?

"Cheating" from John Newman's debut album "Tribute"
What an impressive and talented man, this John Newman.  Please read more about him per link.  I have a huge appreciation for those that write, direct, and design their process as well as can sing (and dance!).   There is something about coming across a new artist who has the kind of presence and energy like this pop star John here that makes me so thrilled I write this blog.





"Vagabond" from MisterWives debut EP "Refletions"
From NYC, this indie-pop band named MisterWives self proclaim to be of the Soul/Dance/Pop/Folk genre.  So am I.   While I couldn't stop moving while listening to this EP, I didn't fall immediately.   I found listening to the tracks collectively told me I would love to attend a live showing.  No tour on the horizon as of yet.


"Apres Moi" from Peter Gabriels's album "And I'll scratch yours"
UK's artrock genius known as Peter Gabriel has produced a followup album from 2010's  "Scratch my back".  Said album was other artists covering Peter's own songs, like David Bowie and Lou Reed. This album is Mr Gabriel recording the same artists songs.  To my surprise he included Regina Spektor, and a track I enjoy quite a bit.  My first take on Peter was "Ave Maria" (I can't find a sample online), and I was instantly haunted and in love.  His cover of Apres Moi brings me back to that original feeling.


"Time of your life" from Kid Ink's second album "My Own Lane"
American Rapper Kid Ink was smart in releasing this album during the dead of winter.  As you may have guessed, I am not a rap music lover.  But I can appreciate talent.  From what I can find the appreciation for, Kid Ink is at least smart (or his manager is) on finding a quiet week in music to inject some rage, intensity, and energy.   I must confess, no competition in your genre is a plus this week, Kid.


No comments: