Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Music Tuesday January 8th, 2013!

Lucky Charlie from Dropkick Murphy's 8th album Signed and Sealed in Blood
This Celtic punk Bostonian band started in 1996.   I first heard them when the film preview 'The Departed' blared 'Shippin out to Boston' on the tv.  The bagpipes, accordion, Irish whiskey vocals and story telling sucks you in and 'dropkicks' you out a fan. Pun intended.  Please come and play at halftime during a Timbers Game.  Please???


Looks good with trouble form Solange's EP True
I was excited to hear what this mysterious Solange had for me until I realized she is Solange Knowles. Oh man, just cuz sis Beyonce doesn't use her last name doesn't mean its uber cool to axe the last name. She is trying to make a name for herself other than Beyonce's sister.  Keep trying, Solange.  You are almost there.


I am bulletproof from Black Veil Brides album Wretched and Divine: The Store of the Wold Ones
This glam metal band from Hollywood created their 3rd studio album as a rock opera concept.  This is why I'm overlooking the 'metal' and diving in.  The history of this albums artwork stopped me:
"It depicts a child holding the Black Veil Brides pentacharm standing up against an army of evil."
This innovated band toured before recording and releasing music. They were hungry and ready to roll. 


Star Crossed Lovers from Joe Lovano's 23rd album Cross Culture
From Cleveland, this Grammy award sax player got his start in the 1980's.  He's worked with many greats in jazz music, studing at Berklee College of Music after being exposed to music at a young age by his father. This is a beautiful album, and the saxophone is my favorite instrument.  I want to stroll the Seine River while Joe follows me, playing this whole record.

Passage to Bangkok from Tracy Thornton's album Baked in the Sun
A nationally recognized steelpan player who has been sought out to open a wide variety of artists such as The Ramones, Dave Matthews Band, Kenny Chesney, Santana, Jimmy Buffet, Barry White, and Yanni.  Tracy has a skill and is willing to guest play at a school near you. However one look at the cover and song titles and your local principal will probably not be inviting Tracy to entertain, man. 

Chanterelle from Food's 7th album Mercurial Balm
This Norway jazz duo started in 1998.  I found this a little sleepy of a jazz band but hey, not every album in my repertoire moves me to dance.


Coming down from Pop Levi's EP Starlight and Wonder, Vol 1.
I have dubbed Pop Levi the artist formally known as Prince of the UK.   Jonathan James Mark Levi skipped church to write music when growing up. Not me, I wrote songs while IN church. But this isn't about me. Wait, is it? Shit.


No comments: