Friday, December 28, 2007

New Music Tuesday November 13th

13 November Tuesday

Love The Killers, Love David Gray, and Love The Hives.
Classic Boys II Men and Celine Dion to torture you with.
Gotta accept Led Zeppelin, Alicia Keys, and the Goo Goo Dolls.
As for the Spice Girls, I’m seasoned out.
The rest of these new releases are pretty killer. I never complain to hear new good music. Enjoy.


“Ribbon in the Sky” from Boyz II Men from their new cover song album “Motown: A Journey Through Hitsville”. Yeah hearing three guys (#4 left in ’03) sing A Capella to a song called “Ribbon in the Sky” isn’t gay at all. Vintage Boyz. They even snap and are probably wearing all white when recording this song. Totally the straight and narrow. No closet in site. Riiiiiight.

“Black Bubblegum” from Dillinger Escape Plan’s new insane album “Ire Works”. A bit more hard than I’d like, yet this song “Black Bubblegum” is way fascinating. Dillinger Escape Plan is an interesting group. They bring in Jazz and hard rock at the same time. I don’t get it which means I will be searching for more Dillinger of the past.

“Can’t fight the feeling” from Celine Dion’s new album “Taking Chances”. You have to admit Celine has an amazing range of tone. What you don’t have to admit is whether you like her music or not. I pretty much don’t, but I can’t help but rock out to “Power of Love’ or “Treat her like a lady” on a whim. So I was in tears laughing at Rolling Stone Magazine’s review of Celine Dion’s record. For your enjoyment: http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/16317192/review/17437037/taking_chances

“Name”, “Iris”, and “Black Balloon” from the Goo Goo Dolls new “Greatest Hits, Vol. 1--The Singles” album. Love the Goo Goo Dolls. Had all the songs so I don’t need the greatest hits but it brought me back to the days of Gooooo. Thanks, Doll.

“Try it Again” from The Hives new album “The Black and White Album”. They get real punk on this album. They have that Brit 80’s feel and you want to be on a trampoline with your graveyard drink and mambas and fun dip. I like the Hives. They still don’t sparkle like a diamond lost in a pile of rocks for me yet. Waiting…. To catch the Hives??

“45:33” which is LCD Soundsystem’s new single. Ok, so the track is actually that long. Forty-five minutes of one song. But for some reason iTunes is selling it as an album only purchase and THEN it’s only one song and it’s $7.99???? Huh? Other than that, this song it kinda cool!!! LCD Soundsystem is up for a Grammy! Congrats!


“Over the Hills and Far Away” from Led Zeppelin “Mothership Best-of”. Well well well Jimmy and Robert are in the studio again. Wow. Guess they see other geezers like Mick, Keith, Angus Young, Steven Tyler, Mick Fleetwood, Don Henley, and Neil Young making albums and touring, why can’t they? Nah, just kiddin. Led Zeppelin is essential to any music collection, for sure. And calling their best of album the “Mothership” is quite fitting since the hype that they are in the studio is on everyone’s minds. They recently played in memory of Ahmet Ertegün from Atlantic Records, which produced the Mothership and their other albums, and had Bonham’s son play drums in honor of his father, part of the original four. Very cool bit of history we will see shortly if they take their act on the road again. They may be old now, but their fans are not… so the audience may be more than these old farts can handle.


“Like You’ll Never See Me Again” from Alicia Keys new album “As I Am”. Alicia has always been a classy woman. She impresses the masses once again with her single “No One”. I like the song, but I like this pick better. Alicia was on Ellen the other day and said she had needed a vacation to get away from everyone telling her how and what to do. So she decided to go to Egypt and climb the pyramids and sing at the top of her lungs. Said she was there for two weeks. I think this is a beautiful story, but this is a bit impossible. You can sort of climb them, but they are really old. Like older than Willie Nelson. And the camel jockeys would have been all over her ass- and she didn’t even mention them once. Anyway, Ellen asked “Did anyone bother you?” and she said “No”. This can’t be true. What ever. Alicia rocks and can lie when ever she wants.

“Bat Macumba” from Os Mutantes live album so appropriately called “Os Mutantes Live”. Unlike the Brazilian Girls, these guys really ARE Brazilian, and they jam hard core. I’d live to fly to Brazil and hear them live. Too bad I can’t. They haven’t played live since the 70’s. I can still listen to their live album and pretend. So get naked and paint your face people! Os Mutantes “live from London” album is here!!!!

“Heaven on their minds” from Queensryche’s new album “Take Cover”. All covers of not so popular songs from very very popular bands, like Pink Floyd, U2, CSNY, Black Sabbath, and even Andrew Lloyd Weber!!! Ha! I of course picked Andrews song, cuz it’s from Jesus Christ Superstar and I’m going to see that next Thursday. So stoked. I have wanted to see that and Les Mis for as long as I have been into theatre. Yay. Anyway, these covers are actually pretty kickin. I may download some eventually. I hadn’t ever heard of Queensryche before, probably because they are heavy metal and I am not. Been around since ’81, even somewhat local (Bellevue, WA)… right on. Plus they are on iTunes Essentials 80’s PowerBallads list, along with Guns N Roses, Heart, Cheap Trick, and Whitesnake. Damn!

“Spice up your life” from Spice Girls “Greatest Hits”. Oh yes the fab 5 are back in a huge way. But first, they must remind you of their massive hits again… Spice up your life is a moc of Gloria Estevan, and somehow in a good way. I don’t know how they pulled that off, but they did. I want to learn the foxtrot or the mambo or maybe even the samba to this tune. Niiiiiiiice.

“Monkey Gone To Heaven” from the album “Dig for Fire: A Pixies Tribute” performed by Elk City. I really like Elk City. I love the Pixies - who doesn’t. This tribute album is a mastermind. Not only is it a rare tribute to a band never to be forgotten, but it features bands that are up and coming new favorites of mine like Elk City, Ok Go, The Rosebuds, and British Sea Power, and more… This song is classic Pixie with the Elk City twist. Merry Christmas to me 


“They Call it Falling for a Reason” from Trisha Yearwood’s new country masterpiece “Heaven, Heartache, and the Power of Love”. That’s a mouthful of a title, ain’t it?? Trisha’s ‘new’ music is exactly like her old music, but what she sings, she sings well. How can we liiiiiive with out her? I want to know…. I think this song is a hoot. She’s right you know. When you fall – you land straight on your face. That’s life.


“Wedding Day” from Seal’s new album “System”. Love Seal. Don’t love the album cover. A little scary. It’s like a disco ball but with Seals face. So who wouldn’t want to hear Heidi Klum sing ? Yeah that’s right. Seal invited his lovely model wife Heidi to duet with him. On the snippit of sound iTunes allows you can’t really hear Heidi. So I perused the internet and found the full version. Verdict: She wasn’t so bad. The song would be perfect for a Victoria Secret show. They probably have already used it! Ha!

“You’re the world to me” from David Gray’s “Greatest Hits”. Oh David. How do you put a new single on a Greatest Hits album? I guess the best of them do it – and I love the single “You’re the world to me”, so I’m not complaining. It’s a real sweet song, and it’s even graced a birthday compilation I made already (little bro’s 19th the other day). Looks like “Destroyer” is a new song as well. Right on. Downloading time.


“Where the White Boys Dance” from The Killers sort of new music collection “Sawdust”. Mostly the album is songs that they’ve sang live (All The Pretty Faces, Indie RockNRoll) and released previously separately (Move Away, Shadowplay) but they DID give some new tracks like “Tranquilize” and “Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf”… To be honest, there isn’t one song by the Killers where I go “TURN THAT OFF!!!” !!! They are the best thing since sliced bread. The white boy dancing song is my favorite, though. It’s a bit more punk that pink.

“I want to be alone” from folk singer Vashti Bunyan's re-release “Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind: Singles and Demos 1964-1967”. I don’t’ know who Vashti is. But I know her now. A tid bit of trivia for you: “Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind” was not only her first single debut (back in 1965) but it was also written by the infamous Glimmer Twins (Jagger and Richards).

No comments: