Thursday, December 6, 2007

New Music Tuesday October 30th!!!!

It's taken me a month to complete the October 30th New Music Tuesday blog. Eff Me.
I was out of town for 18 of those days, does that count??? Thanks. The other days I have been dealing with effing bastards who are effing with my effing credit cards and my life. Eff!!!!
So you y'all go. Enjoy!!!

October 30, 2007


“Brompton Cocktail” from Avenged Sevenfold’s new record “Avenged Sevenfold”. Yeah, these skater-boys are pretty rockin. Totally not my cup of tea here, but I applaud them for stepping out of their comfort sound by takin a stab at country (in the track “Dear God”). We’ll see. I don’t know. They are too “Good Charlotte” for me. Ewwwwwe.

“Inconsolable” from Backstreet Boys new album “Unbreakable”. Yesssss, nothing better than cheesy boy bands coming back as bloated middle aged fags. Ok, that wasn’t fair. They aren’t bloated, and they are still younger then my boyfriend, and as for their sexual preference, I haven’t a clue. This album gives me more material to make fun of though, and I thank them for that. I think Hanson’s new album is better …

“The Elephant Pharmacy” from Ian Ball’s new album “Who Goes There”. I like this song. It’s about elephant tranquilizers. That’s fun, right? Ian is just a ball of joy here. May have to check out more of this Ian Ball fellow’s music. Very indie. Very now. The cover of their album is super sweet, too. The only thing missing on the cover is a picture of yours truly.

“Kiss Kiss” from Chris Brown’s new album “Exclusive”. I wasn’t expecting to like this at all. I don’t really like Chris Brown. He sounds too digital for me. Probably cuz most of his shit is from a computer. It works for this song somehow. It’s great, not in a “Britney Spears gimme more” great but a “Mrs. Brown you gotta lovely daughter” great.


“Red Carpet Massacre” from Duran Duran’s new (!!) album “Red Carpet Massacre”. Yes I am breaking my cardinal rule of picking the song with the same name as the album. Lame. But I really like this song! It makes me hungry… like a wolf. Duran is back, and the other Duran is back as well. They still have the 80’s-esque with a bit of killer riffs and interesting lyrics. You will have to just check it out yourselves, I think.

“How Long” from The Eagles new album “Long Road Out of Eden Double CD”. iTunes from America doesn’t have this available - but you can test it out if you sign in under the UK’s site. Cool. Anywho, I love this new album. Classic Eagles, and who wouldn’t want a piece of that?


“Vagina Mine” from “Puscifer’s new album “V is for Vagina”. This is a very peculiar band. The genius behind Tool has created a new-ish band called Puscifer, cuz apparently the name “Tool” wasn’t suggestive enough… So to conclude this review, it’s raw vibrating sounds are surprisingly soothing to jam to. Rock on, dude.


“Piece of Me” – oh and “”Get Naked (I gotta plan)” … and probably “Toy Soldier” and definitely “Hot as Ice”. All from Britney Spears new album “Blackout” Is it just me or do these song titles sound like 1992? All of the songs are club songs, which is appropriate since she spent more time in one than with her kids this past year. And “Blackout” is a bit scary of an album title since she is infamous for being completely fucked up, like ALL the time. On the other side of the coin, her album has gained serious points on the charts and everyone loves it. I’m guessing they are all like 14 yrs old buying it? Oh hells bells, I gotta gimme more Brits.

“In Your Dreams” from Kate Tucker and the Sons of Sweden’s new album “Kate Tucker and the Sons of Sweden”. This is totally what I was in the mood for during this weeks music review. It’s calming baptismal tracks eased my mind back into the swing of things. Merci, Kate et. al.

The whole soundtrack to the Bob Dylan biopic “I'm Not There”, which are all Dylan tunes sung by some new favs of mine, like Sufjan Stevens, The Hold Steady, Calexico, plus Cat Power, Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeah’s lead), Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, and the great Eddie Vedder. Can’t wait for the biopic to hit Portland, cuz I’m there. The soundtrack is fabulous, and I’m dying to see Cate Blanchett play Bob Dylan.

The soundtrack to the band Joy Division’s biopic “Control” which I hope Portland will be cool enough to have play at one of our theatres… The film made it’s debut at the Cannes festival last May, and after reading about it’s reviews and the sad short lived Joy Division spirit, I would like to see this movie. The soundtrack has the great rocker punk artists of Mr David Bowie, New Order, The Velvet Underground, Kraftwerk (can you say Disneyland Electrical Parade??) , Supersister, Iggy Pop, and The Killers who sing the Joy Division song “Shadowplay”. Sweeeet.

“Party’s Over” from Nicole Atkins' debut album, “Neptune City”. This little lady caught the eye of Rolling Stone Magazine, naming her the artist to watch, or whatever. I must admit, her music the best shit I’ve heard in a loooong time. To think this is her first album and each song is incredible, to repeats, her chilling twang voice bringing you back to the 20’s and 30’s style with alternative twists. iTunes describes her as having the sounds of Roy Orbison, Loretta Lynn, and Jenny Lewis (of Rilo Kiley)… and I’d have to agree with them for once.

“Feelin Good” by Levon Helm: Dirt Farmer. No this isn’t my favorite “Feelin Good” song that so many have made famous (Muse, Michael Buble, Nina Simone to name a few)… but it’s a song that really does make you feel good. It’s a hokey jam that calls for bales of hay and Jameson whiskey bottles with a big toothy smile on your face as you belt the words out. Yes, m’am, tis a doozey of a song.

“…Slowdancing on the Inside” from Taking Back Sunday’s new cd “Notes from the Past”. I would just LOVE to get really drunk after a really shitty day (like today or any day last week) and just BELT this song out at the Galaxy karaoke bar. Why the Galaxy? Because there you can make a fool of yourself and still be the coolest person there. They just don’t care. Taking Back Sunday is just another boy band like Fall Out Boy or Jimmy Eat World, yet they don’t bring anything special to the table for my liking. But this song I’d nail on the mic for all your poor ears to bleed.

“Ecoute mon Coeur” by Ria Bartok from “Various Artists: La Belle Epoque: EMI's French Girls 1965-1968”. Wow. This is friggen spectacular. It’s all like French Mama’s and the Papas!!! Classic! Each song was so priceless it was really hard for me to choose, but Ria won me over with her “avec moi…..” and the cheesy ass horn and key board in the background. Niiiice, Ria, nice! Anne Kern was totally French’s version of Linda Ronstadt. Oui Oui!

Larry the Cable Guy’s new lame-ass holiday album “Christmastime in Larryland”. Ok. I can’t pick anything off this piece of shit disgusting crap of “comedy”. I’ll take Nickleback any day over Larry. Maybe it’s cuz my old bitch of a boss listened to him. Who knows? Perhaps if she hadn’t lied to SAIF insurance about me, I wouldn’t still be bitter and take out on Larry… Gitter-done.

“4-4-44” from Youssou N’dour’s new album “Rokku Mi Rokka”. Pretty interesting music we got here. Youssou is a native African French speaking UNICEF ex employee and was part of the Live 8 shows (3 of them). He’s an amazing individual, singing for great causes helping his country and spreading the PEACE around. Sang for Nobel Peace Prize winner Nelson Mandela’s release in ’90, was on the Darfur compilation John Lennon covers, and has even won a Grammy for his previous album “Egypt” in ’05. So whip out your French-English dictionary and pocket book, head down to Everyday Music, and purchase all the Youssou you find.

“The Reefer Man” from The Harlem Experiment’s The Harlem Experiment album. The group itself is pure funk. Truly authentic Harlem jazzy arrangements with clear-cut soul. They got a serious band to back up a serious group of singers. They cover old school songs, it’s true, but their originality and tightness as a group will lift them up on the radar if not already done. The clarinet spun with Caribbean style and the Louis Armstrong-impersonator is too much in this ‘Reefer’ song. I really need Mr Fabulous when I hear their music, know what I’m sayin???


“Everything Went Down” from Kate Tucker & The Sons of Sweden self titled album “Kate Tucker & The Sons of Sweden” Everything went down for me last week. So this song really gets me. Her voice is beautiful, but I feel like she sings the same note in all her songs, like Sarah McLaughlin, you know? What I really like is her band. The strings are breathtaking, and I’d imagine seeing them LIVE would be fantastic. Just don’t drink and listen, it’ll send you in a coma.

“What” from the album "Doubt is for Losers" by Pete Pidgeon and Arcoda. This song should be in a musical. Most of their songs are sung with such feeling, you know they are singer songwriters. I guess you feel the character, or the mood the singer was in, when listening to the songs off this album. Each track is quite different, which I love love love of course. No doubt, they are as original as they come. Did I mention they are a bit funny and quirky?

No comments: