Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Music December 25th and January 1st

New Music December 25th and January 1st
Short AND Sweet, my friends. And this is combining TWO weeks because both Tuesdays fell on HOLIDAYS.

“Reckoner” from of Radiohead's latest album, “In Rainbows”. I downloaded this months ago. Fantastic album. Fantastic band. Fantastic songs. Each one – fantastic. The general public can finally go to their local record store and buy “In Rainbows” for themselves. You could download it from their website since October. You could pay or not pay. The whole album is a masterpiece. Definitely on my top ten albums of 2007. Perhaps a list of those is in the works for you to read. Perhaps all 1 reader out there (thanks, Anne for being my reader) will want to know what this music fiends favorite albums were of last year. So many to choose from. I don’t know if I can put them in order of favorite. We will see. Can I get it done before January 31st? We’ll see! Ha! Challenge!! I love it!

“My Dear Acquaintance ( A Happy New Year)” Regina Spektor’s new single. I first saw Regina on VH1 in her video for “Fidelity” at 7 in the morning, all blurry-eyed and waking up, thinking I needed to remember this gal. She has something different. After, of course, the radio etc overplayed the song but I still liked it cuz I felt like I discovered it on my own and not through the damned radio. Its really a sweet video, all in black white and red (til the end). This song is a nice way to start out the year. I am happy with Regina’s choice of songs, very sweet and pointedly purposeful yet not depressing, ala the lady songwriters of the 90’s (hello Lilith Fair?).

“Declare Independence (Mark Stent Mix)” Bjork’s new EP mix of her ‘hit’ Declare Independence called, if you haven’t already guessed, “Declare Independence – EP”. Normally I ignore these releases for they are redundant and pointless to talk about. They aren’t ‘new’ by any means. However, Bjork is sending a message to all of us scaredy-cat Americans to declare our fucking rights in the land of the free. I actually ordered this cd, and it should be coming soon. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am going to really like this album. “Here Here” to the wonder that is Bjork.

“Love the World you Find” performed by the Flaming Lips from the “Mr. Magnorium’s Wonder Emporium” soundtrack. I thought this movie was supposed to be silly, but this song makes me think it may have a heart after all. I do love Natalie Portman… and the Flaming Lips are blistering… ouch. Could someone maybe go to this movie with me or rent it when it’s on DVD and perhaps we can enjoy a crazy flick together? I’ll bring the Milk Duds (thanks to Melody)…

“Gorgeous” from Idina Menzel’s new single. I don’t like the remixes of this song (The “Gorgeous EP” also was released this week) – they remind me f all the techno-pop songs of ‘98-99 era, like “Unbreak My Heart” drag queen style. There is a time and a place for that shit, and it ain’t on my watch. I chose the single instead of anything off her EP, which in my opinion wasn’t ‘gorgeous’…

“Love TKO” Michael McDonald’s new single. What New Music Tuesday blog would be complete without a review of this former Doobie? Honestly, ever since the 40yr Old Virgin, I have been obsessed with this guy. William can’t stop playing him, and I was pissed to see he wasn’t with the Doobies cuz I got to check them out over the summer. Yeah, and it was my second time seeing them and missing the Mac. This song is a Total Knock Out. Ohhhhh yeaaaaah.

No comments: