Tuesday, February 5, 2008

New Music Tuesday January 15th...

“Stay in the lines” from Chino XL & Playalitical’s new album “Something Sacred”. Ok this is yet again another hip hop artist I can’t relate to. The lyrics are funny though, so they get a coveted spot on my list. This wigger ain’t buying it, tho. Word. A for Effort, kids.

“I Put a Spell on You” from Eels’s new collection of songs “Useless Trinkets B-Sides (Soundtracks, Rarities, and Unreleased)”. When performed correctly, this song is one of my favorites. The Eels don’t let me down one bit. It sounds like an angry Lenny Kravitz song, if Lenny could squeeze the energy as high as the Eels do. They’re electric. Plus they are playing at the Wonder Ballroom on April 13th. I promise you will like them if you come with me! 

“Get Ur Freak On” from Eels new release “Vol. 1 Meet the Eels: Essentials”. Ok, the Eels are effin cool. I may have to seek out all their music. Currently I am a loser and have only one song of theirs. Considering they have 12 albums to their name, I stink to high heaven as a new found fan. I’m heading to EM and getting me some Eel.

“Can Anybody Hear Me?” from Kottonmouth Kings’s new collection of hits “Greatest Highs”. Well most of their songs are about smoking weed. This song is on of two that haven’t been previously released from this album, not that I would have known the difference. I guess the Kottonmouth Kings are ok. They are quirky and unusual, which is always an A+ in my mind. I just don’t know if they cut it. My favorite part about these kings? They are described as “rapcore”. Irresistibly insane.


“Old Fools” from Magnetic Fields new album “Distortion”. Have you ever seen a movie that has been raved on about by friend and critics alike, but by the time you rent it and watch it it’s disappointing because of the hype? Well, all I have heard this month is (from RS mag.): “It rocks, in this case a meaningful, temporary departure. Its unmelded sonic gestalt suits its thematic disquiet. It's Stephin Merritt's second-best album, which is saying a great deal.” …giving it 4 out of 5 stars!! It’s a really out there for my brain right now. Complex lyrics and story lines and soundsystems used…. I can’t keep up. Perhaps my data base is too full to comprehend this right now, but I will put it on the “too be reviewed for later use” shelf. Maybe I’ll be ready for it in the Spring.


“Gone are the Days” from Ringo Starr’s new album “Liverpool 8”. It’s a sweet ex-Beatles album. I actually like it way better that Paul’s new stuff. I didn’t know I was a fan of Ringo!! I have always been fond of his name, growing up. Heard they just re-released the film “Help!” that’s a deluxe edition box set of 2 DVD’s. Right on. The only Beatle left who needs help is Paul, now. (cuz of his stupid ex Heather Mills – eeeeewww).



“The Eye of the Tiger” from the Soundtrack to the movie “Persepolis”. The movie is French, it’s Black and White, it’s Animated, and it’s about a young girl who rebels against the ways of the Islamic powers taking over her country of Iran. I can’t wait to see it this week. ;) Apparently at the peak of the movie this song is playing as she enters the streets of Iran after seeing the aftermath of what she left her country in.


“Long Dream” from Tyler Ramsey’s new album, “A Long Dream About Swimming Across the Sea”. It is the first artist I would compare to Neil Young in a long time. His voice and poetry are quite similar, but you don’t get the same authentic feel you get from Young Neil. I’m totally into Tyler now, since I’ve been introduced to his music this new music release week. Folk music is my thing these days. Well, folk and punk. That doesn’t really flow, does it? Especially when I throw in French Pop and old school Jazz like Coltrane. Oh well, my taste will ever be evolving.

“Hey Katie” from Josh Kelley’s new album “Special Company”. It’s nothing that special coming from Josh Kelley, but it’s different enough that it might spark interest in the music industry. I think I like his music, maybe it’s a little to one dimensional. “Hey Katie” is sweet enough, but I think I’m more impressed with the band and not the storyline.

“To Know Him is to Love Him” from Amy Winehouse’s “Back in Black B-Sides” album. This is a beautiful song. I used to love this song when I was little. Hearing Amy’s version isn’t disappointing. She brings the feeling and soul into the song that some covers of it lack. Well done Amy! All the b-side songs are great choices. “Some Unholy War” is truly moving, and would be my first pick if I wasn’t already partial to the chosen song.

“I Built the Sea” from The Battle of Land and Sea’s new album “the Battle of Land and Sea”. They are from Portland!!!! Yay!!!! Gotta love the local. I feel like this band really has a sound of their own …pretty mellow and sexy all at once. I’d love to download and walk in the rain up in Forest Park on Wildwood trail. It would be lovely and transcending…

“Starlett Johansson” from The Teenagers new album “Reality Check”. Love it. This band totally cracks me up. I don’t know if they mean to be so hilarious, those Brits can give us Yanks the wrong impression. We missed their hot spot American tour this month… unless you live in LA, NY, or likewise, they didn’t come to you. Perhaps they will in the future. I would go, as long as it isn’t full of ‘teenagers’…

No comments: