Tuesday, February 28, 2012

New Music Tuesday February 21st

Some nights from fun.'s 2nd album Some Nights
fun. is a New York City indie rock band that formed in 2008. I have seen the name around (unusual as it is caught my eye) but am not familiar with their sound... Or so I thought! Thank you Glee for making me a fun. fan before I was even aware I am! I had downloaded Glees cover of 'We are young' after the gang got back together (GLEEK). Positive and motivating. That is how I'd describe fun.
I want to see them at the Roseland May 29th.


This fire of Autumn from Tindersticks album The Something Rain
Something about this song stopped me in my tracks. Nobody sounds like Tindersticks today. Aesthetically pleasing, transforming me to a peaceful place, feeling hypnotized. Lovely instruments, exploring different movements. I'm transfixed. Wow. I don't see Portland on their map for 2012 tour, but I won't forget their name and will be looking for it the marquee.


Night Swim from Frankie Rose's album Interstellar
Love the whipping sound through out the song. Ha. I think if ABBA had formed in the 80s they would have sounded like Frankie Rose. That being said, I found myself shaking and nodding while reviewing. This doesn't happen often. Now if I could only understand the lyrics, I'd be set. This is Ms Rose's 2nd album to date. I do appreciate her clean website. Easy to load, read, and locate the info I needed. You can hear her play at the East End on April 23rd.

Field Music's 4th album Plumb
I kind of feel like the songs are all over the place. They are from the UK, and formed in 2004. Just a little experimental for me. They are listed as art rock. I guess that is appropriate! The track I picked is softer and seemed to flow rather than pop pop fizz fizz pop pop need an exceredin? I'm willing to listen to more and let Field Music show me what they are about. I wouldn't turn down tickets to Spain to see them perform with Wilco, Andrew Bird, Mazzy Star, James Vincent McMorrow and Julia Holter at the Forbidden Fruit Festival June 4th!


V Day Intro from Bobby V's V Day EP
This is Bobby Vs 5th album, and has collaborated with the likes of Ludacris and Timberland to name a couple. He's and R&B singer and has been acknowledged with nominations from NCAAP. Please listen to this intro. I think I just threw up. I'd rather be lonely on Valentines day than have Bobby V there for me. All I need is a dose of Bobby? Vitamin V. Yes, these are the lyrics.

The Legend from Pallbearer's latest album Sorrow and Extinction
Pallbearer is a 'doom metal' band from Arkansas. This is their debut album even though they formed in 2008. They are quoted to be 'Heralding and unleashing primal destruction upon the world.'. Well ok then!

Doesn't matter from Ital's album Hive Mind
This is Daniel Martin-McCormick's debut album as 'Ital'. Daniel was a part of the Black Eyed Peas and other collaborations. I can't find a whole lot more information on this guy, he seems to migrate from one project to another, under one moniker and then another. Very electronic. Very. Repetitive. Video game music mixed with top 40 music. No, not on the top of my music list this week...

How About I Be Me (And You Be You?) - the new single from Sinead O'Connor
This is quite the upbeat song for Sinead. Its a lovely love song, a tad raggae which surprised me. I'm not even sure I'd recognize Sineads voice if I didn't already know it was her singing. Its fun, give it a try. Her album is also released this week. Same title as the single.

Never my Love from Lambchop's 11th studio album Mr M.
Hometown of Nashville, 16 members. And apparently have been playing since 1986 yet I've never heard of them. Or perhaps I have and thought it was just a Shirley Lewis reference. Wikipedia says they are similar to Barry White and Marvin Gaye- I'm IN! With that said, none of the songs from this album sound even remotely like Marvin or Barry. Perhaps the previous albums sound more funky, but Mr M sounds more like Cat Stevens. I was highly disappointed when listening to the songs, listening for that bass and baritone sexiness. Instead I got the vibe of let's go light a candle, make flower necklaces, and read poetry.

So on, Nevada from Damien Jurado's 10th studio ambum Maraqopa
Damien's from Seattle, playing the music scene since '95. I have downloaded this song. Just stunning, reminds me of driving through Nevada, hitting Reno, Lake Tahoe, and Carson City. Makes me feel like everything will be alright, with the sun in my eyes, breeze flowing through my hair, slik scarf around my neck. You feel it too? He will be folking around at Holocene April 22nd with Peter Wolf Crier. I'm teetering on the yes side of attending. This stripped down version is endearing...

Oblivion from Grimes latest album Visions
This Canadian songstress plays 'wonky pop' so they say. This is her (Clair Boucher) third album since she started in 2010. She has a whimsical voice and techno band-sound, which only works about fifty percent of this album, for me. This song Oblivion is quite fun though. My blogging is too late to promote her show at the Holocene Feb 21st... Sorry folks. Anyways, I read a story about her and I have to quote it because paraphrasing it wouldn't to her justice.
"In 2009, Claire Boucher and a friend from school constructed a 20-foot houseboat, named the "Velvet Glove Cast in Iron," with the intention to sail it down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans. The cargo included chickens, a typewriter, 20 pounds of potatoes and a gifted copy of Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Boucher and her companion adopted the names "Veruschka" and "Zelda Xox" for the trip. Due to engine trouble and subsequent harassment from the Minnesota police, the journey was cut short and the houseboat and chickens were impounded."

No comments: