Monday, January 30, 2012

Second half of January 24, 2012

Ok I am still skipping some new releases from January 24th, but here are the rest of my comments and reviews I will be posting. Oh, and at the end of this blog I will list the albums I skipped (due to lack of acess to information on the internet)

Lamb of God - Resolution
I just have a few things to say about this band. First thing that caught my attention was the Parental Advisory note on the front album cover, while seemingly a religious band.

This was my first mistake. My second was trying to find a redeeming quality in any track from this album. Good God. I know metal isn't my cup of tea, but I did end up enjoying Abigail Williams... And I hate to judge straight away. But these guys are just way outta my league. Go check them out yourself, if you dare. They have 7 albums to choose from (titled Burn the Priest, As the Palaces Burn... Etc).

Lion/Lamb from Laura Gibson's new album La Grande
Mississippi studios Feb 3rd.
I heard her on OPB radio and started taking notes. Then discovered she is from Portland, will be playing at Mississippi Studios Feb 3rd, and is releasing La Grande January 24th. I highly recommend going this friday. La Grande is Laura's third album, and I look forward to hearing more from this Indie starlet.

Bones of Lazerus from moe.s latest release What Happened to the La Las. They played last night (Jan 29th) here in Portland , which means my brother-in-law may be in town. He loves this band. Being a jam band, they have a huge following and visit my town often. I haven't had the chance to see them live yet, but I wouldn't turn down the invitation. From what I can tell this is their 13th album since their inception in 1989.

Diablo Rojo from Rodrigo y Gabriela's latest album Area 52. This Mexican folk-rock band played their early music career in Ireland. Damien Rice founded them, and this is their 5th album. Previously Rodrigo y Gabriela have covered 'Stairway to Heaven' and paid a music tribute Tim Burton with 'Nightmare Revisited'. With such an eclectic combo of influences and projects I was hoping to be wowed. Perhaps live at the Arlene Schnitzer April 4th would wow me.

Videogames from Lana Del Rey's album debut Born 2 Die
Lana (Elizabeth) has a sexy 007 sound, look, and vibe. Only 24, moved to the UK to write music. Her online following brought her The Most Promising new Artist last Fall at the Q Awards (British music magazine).
She's already been on SNL, which ruffled some feathers and gained her bad critism. I think SNL was brilliant for letting her guest. Elizabeth, if you read this, don't listen to them. They are just jealous. I can't name a 24yr old artist that compares to your chops. Keep it up.
V.E.N.O.M. by Pulled Apart By Horses by their 2nd album Tough Love.
Firstly, this band has the best website. I have come across the worst, terribly managed, poorly updated clusterfuck of sites while researching new music. Thank you, whom ever administrates this bands website. Secondly, I am not a fan of animal cruelty, but their previously released single 'I punched a lion in the throat' makes me laugh a little. Pulled Apart by Horses had vibes of and angrier version of Jet and Franz Ferdiand getting funky in '99 at Satryicon (a closed club in Pdx). The flow of this song Tough Love, musician solos with drums, guitar, and symbols, exploding louder, ever changing the direction beautifully. I confide I wasn't expecting to like this band at all when reading their history, but listening to Tough Love changed my perspective. Give them a chance.

Waiting for something from Nada Surfs new album The Stars are Indifferent to Astronomy
This notable band will be at the Wonder Ballroom March 23rd. This is their 7th album, and I have some singles of theirs, but never an album... Nada Surf is a band I just have never invested any time getting to know, sadly. I can't name one hit, not did I recognize their '96 hit Popular when I googled it. I even thought they had a frontwoman, not frontman. Oops. So what happened? We've been in two different worlds, but I'm ready to receive Nada Surf in my life now. I like this song peppy chant.

Unless you speak from your heart from Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend
Mauro Remiddi's solo project. This Italian composer, song writer, and musician has created an alternate persona and is touring Europe as we speak. This is a bit discoteque for me, you know repetitive and strobelights while drinking a $5.00 cola...I think I am just not used to this style. Either too old or not cool enough. Lovely though... honest.

I read it in the rolling stone - Dion - Tank Full Of Blues. The rock n roll hall of famer who wrote Run around Sue is still playing, writing, singing. Saving $36 dollars to not fly in 1959 saved his life, narrowly escaping the day the music died with Holly, Valens, and Bopper. Over fifty years later we are still graced with talent. This is not the sound nor artist that's washed up and trying to resurface. After all, he wrote my moms anthem!


The other new releases:
Gonjasufi - MU.ZZ.LE
Imbogodom - And They Turned Not When They Went
Jason Urick - I Love You
Karen Dalton - 1966 Delmore Recordings
Koffin Kats - On Way and the Highway
Leila - U and I
Rhyton - Rhyton
Starving Weirdos - Land Lines
Xray Eyeballs - Splendor Squalor

No comments: