Monday, March 18, 2013

New Music Tuesday February 26th

Don't love me too much from Escondido's debut album The Ghost of Escondido
From Nashville, they recorded this album in 1 day live.  One would think the outcome of such nonsense would be a disaster.  On the contrary, definitely marking this for my best of 2013 list.  The western pop - desert sex sound that I missed live at Mississippi Studios on February 10th is incredible.  This is one of FOUR bands this new music week that will be playing at SXSW.  Anyone want to buy me a ticket to go?  Please? Desert Sex? No? Come on...



Lockdown from Johnny Marr's debut solo album The Messenger
It seems to me that Johnny Marr's message here is he can strip away alcohol, meat, dairy, and his former band mates of The Smiths, Modest Mouse, The Cribs, and The The to tell us he sounds exactly like The Smiths, Modest Mouse, The Cribs, and The The all on his own.  Could be my home town Portland's fault, as he did live here for several years.  We have the 'you can make it on your own' attitude and praise vegan-ism.  Now that I have totally ripped on poor Johnny, I must say, that taken in small doses (ie: NOT listening to the album in its entirety) I could see myself enjoying this British indie rockers debut. Oh, and nice choice on the album cover art.


Bluebird wine from Emmylou Harris and Rodney Cowell's collaboration Old Yellow Moon
In my book, Emmylou can do no wrong.  Not one damn thing.  Talented, humble, and grogeous, when she is solo or with another legend,  she is the twin queen of Americana (with Bonnie Rait).  Alabama born Miss Harris started her career in 1969, since then has received 12 Grammys and recorded 27 studio albums (including this record).  Texan Rodney Cowell has known Emmy for 40 years, is a Grammy award wining artist himself, and was once married to Rosanna Cash.   Please listen to these two legends on this NPR link.  I highly enjoyed it.


Bright light from Mount Moriah's 2nd album Miracle Temple
From North Carolina, this mysterious band will be playing at the Doug Firl 4/21/14.
Oh and if you don't know where Mount Mariah is, here is a photo I took while there in Jerusalem.





Waltz for Pony from Boy's debut album Mutual Friends
This German duo started in 2007 and released this album in 2011 but the US just got word that these two indie singer songwriter ladies are talented and should be available here in ole America.  This whimsical pick of mine will melt your heart with the violins and pleasing story telling.  I love music from other countries, I find the lyrics refreshingly from a different perspective.


Before your very eyes from Atoms for Peace debut album AMOK
Each Atom in this group are Grammy award winning artists on their own, and just to be uber super, collaborated in 2009 in Los Angeles.  Thom Yorke, Flea,  Joey Warnoker (you know, Beck and REM's drummer), Nigel Godrich (Radiohead's producer),  and Mauro Refosco (Brazilian Percussionist, who isn't a Grammy award winner YET, but was nomiated for his work on Red Hot Chili Pepper's 2011 album "I'm with you") make up the members of Atoms for Peace. 


Blue Ice from Shout Out Louds 4th album Optic
I'm  thrilled to say I had a hard time choosing just one track from these indo rocker Sweeds.  I want to see them at the Alladin 5/21, I want to see them at this years Sasquatch Festival, but most of all I want to see them at SXSW now.   But I am poor and in the NW so this is not going to happen this year.  Well damn.  And I can't rave enough about their lovely website
.


Hypnotic Regession from Girls Names 2nd album The New Life
From Ireland, this surf rock band has definitely created their own niche.  Girls Names formed in 2009, combining Beach Boy licks with a 70's psychedelic strum.   They will be at SXSW as well.  I will attend someday. You know. When a bigwig magazine hires me to review music for them.  Your New Music Playlist Weekly Review by Aubrey's Addictions. Enjoy.


No comments: